Thursday, September 29, 2011

LET'S PLAY AGAIN...Tennis

Many of us played and loved some kind of sport as children and if we didn’t probably at times wish we had.  Well it’s not too late you know.  Why only sit around watching sports on TV when we can get out there and reap the benefits of playing ourselves.

I played Tennis when I was younger and remember having a great time, and I love watching the major Tennis tournaments on television now.  I have been saying for years that I would love to start playing again, but just hadn’t gotten out and done it.  After watching the U.S. Open this summer, I finally got inspired to get out there and go for it and I’m so glad I did.  I have been having so much fun and feel like I’m getting a great workout, meeting cool people, staying connected, and it’s helped me to feel great about myself.


According to an article released by the Cleveland Clinic, one can burn between 330 and 600 calories per hour of playing tennis.  The article also states that tennis can be fun and  “offers a great diversion from life’s stresses as well as a great opportunity to socialize, particularly if you join a local tennis league or club or frequent public courts. Tennis is invigorating, and, once you get the hang of it, tremendously satisfying.

We are so fortunate to have so many great opportunities to get out and play tennis in our community, here are some ways you can get involved...

Check out the section on tennis City of Santa Monica's website for a wealth of information about places to play, available lessons and clubs and tennis events going on around you.


Follow local Tennis pro, Zeke Hindle...he will keep you updated on Tennis happening in the community and give you tips for improving your game and having fun doing it.

Take a look at the Santa Monica Tennis Club

Or just grab a friend a couple racquets and some balls and head to those courts you always drive past, and get started and see where it takes you.



If Tennis isn’t your thing, fear not, there are plenty of other sports you can get involved with in your community.  We will start exploring those soon.  Please post and share about tennis or other sports programs you know of and would like to recommend.  Let's get out there and start playing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment